Requesting a Letter of Recommendation
First, send me an email requesting a letter of recommendation. This must be done 4-6 weeks prior to the first recommendation deadline!
Once I've agreed to write you a letter, please put together a google drive folder entitled your name_Recommendations (e.g., "MaryLyon_Recommendations") that includes:
- a google spreadsheet entitled your name Recommendations for goal position e.g., ("Mary Lyon Recommendations for Summer '19 REU") with a row for each application
- each row should contain entries for:
- program name (if there is a web site for the program, this should link to it)
- submission deadline
- submission process (such as: email, web site -- give url, program will contact me, or snail mail -- you will give me/have given envelope)
- an extra column for me to check off when I've submitted it
- rename the tab at the bottom that defaults to "Sheet1" with your first name (e.g., "Mary")
- sort the spreadsheet by earliest deadline!
- your current resume
- your current transcript
- any additional materials (essays, personal statements) that would help me in writing
- this can include a google doc that reminds me what you have taken with me, what projects you've done with me, etc.
- Share the google drive folder with me.
- Email me when you are done with your materials or any time you update, so that I can write your letter (this should be at least 3 weeks prior to the earliest deadline).
I will not begin to write until you email!
If you add any applications after you have sent this email, update the spreadsheet and email me again.